To: FBCF Church Family
From: Pastor Bill
Tuesday, June 2, 2020
I wanted to update you on a few things and pass along a very appropriate challenge.
- Wayne Frank’s hip replacement surgery went well and he’s doing fine.
- Linda Morgan had a heart cath Monday. She does have some blockage so she will be going back to the doctor to discuss some options.
- Angie Price (Willard’s and Connie’s daughter-in-law) is having surgery today. They will be removing a stint, a kidney stone and a spot on her kidney.
- We trickled up again this past Sunday to about 70% of our normal attendance. Nursery and KidStuff will resume this week, and that hopefully will help in even more getting back. For kids in the Nursery, please enter through the Welcome Center, go to the Nursery counter to check in and get your tags and have your temp taken.
- VBS … from Scott Kidd … On July 13-17, we plan to hold our FBCF Vacation Bible School. We will have a planning/organizational meeting on Sunday, June 14, 9:30 am, in the Children’s Center. If you are interested in being part of our VBS team, please attend this meeting. This will be a wonderful opportunity to minister to the kids of our community. A majority of churches have canceled their VBS for this year, so this could be a great chance to reach a multitude of children for the Lord Jesus Christ! Please prayerfully consider this and make plans to join us on Sunday morning, June 14, 9:30 am as we go forth and spread the Gospel through VBS!
- In light of the current chaos in our nation, former NFL Coach Tony Dungy shared the following tweet. I thought he made some good comments and wanted to pass it along for you to read, especially in light of the fact that I am about to preach on spiritual warfare and the armor of God. Please take a minute to read this.
America is in a very sad place today. We have seen a man die senselessly, at the hands of the very people who are supposed to be protecting our citizens. We have seen people protest this death by destroying property and dreams of people in their own community, the very people they are protesting for. We have many people pointing fingers of blame, painting the opposite side with a broad brush. We have anger and bitterness winning out over logic and reason. We have distrust and prejudice winning out over love and respect.
What happened to George Floyd was inexcusable and it should never happen. Justice needs to be served, but in seeking justice we can’t fall into the trap of prejudging every police officer we see. What started out as peaceful protests have devolved into arson and looting and that should never happen, either. Yes there should be protest. But we do not have license to perform criminal acts because we’re angry.
Today we are a divided country. We’re divided racially, politically, and socio-economically. And Satan is laughing at us because that is exactly what he wants. Dysfunction, mistrust, and hatred help his kingdom flourish.
Well, what is the answer then? I believe it has to start with those of us who claim to be Christians. We have to come to the forefront and demonstrate the qualities of the One we claim to follow, Jesus Christ. We can’t be silent. As Dr. King said many years ago, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere!” But we can’t go forward with judgmental, bitter spirits. We need to be proactive, but do it in the spirit of trying to help make things better. And it can’t be just the African American churches. It has to be ALL churches taking a stand and saying “We are going to be on the forefront of meaningful dialogue and meaningful change.” We have to be willing to speak the truth in love but we have to recognize that we are not fighting against other people. We are fighting against Satan and his kingdom of spiritual darkness.
In the words of the Apostle Paul, “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (Roman 12:21, NIV).
Take care. Stay safe. See ya Sunday, Lord willing.
Love you folks,